You are here

History: Office of the Lieutenant Governor

The Office of Lieutenant Governor was created in 1945 when the Constitution was revised at the State convention. Elected in 1946, M. E. Thompson became Georgia's first Lieutenant Governor in the same year that the man duly elected Governor, Eugene Talmadge, died before taking office. Because of the reforms of 1945, the rules on succession to the Governor's office were unclear. As a result, outgoing Governor Ellis Arnall; Talmadge's son, Herman Talmadge; and Thompson all claimed the Governor's office. The Georgia Supreme Court settled the dispute by ordering that Thompson serve as Governor until the next general election in 1948. Since 1946, eleven men have served as Lieutenant Governor of the State of Georgia:

- Melvin E. Thompson (1947-1948)

- Marvin Griffin (1949-1954)

- S. Ernest Vandiver (1955-1958)

- Garland T. Byrd (1959-1962)

- Peter Zack Geer (1963-1966)

- George T. Smith (1967-1970)

- Lester Maddox (1971-1974)

- Zell Miller (1975-1990)

- Pierre Howard (1991-1998)

- Mark Taylor (1999-2006)

- Casey Cagle (2007- )